Apples are in season in Kentucky! This fruit is a budget-friendly option most times throughout the year too. Try our apple carrot bake (featured in our 2016 calendar) for a delicious fruit-veggie combo!
• 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
(about 4 cups)
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can sliced carrots
(may use 2 cups fresh or frozen steamed
• ¼ cup light brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• ½ cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Arrange apples and carrots in a 1½ quart
greased casserole dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar,
flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over carrots
4. Dot carrot and apple mixture with butter
and cover with orange juice.
5. Bake uncovered for one hour or until
sugar mixture caramelizes.
Makes 8 servings
Serving size: ¾ cup
Cost per recipe: $3.44
Cost per serving: $0.43
Nutrition facts per serving: 120 calories;
3g total fat; 2g saturated fat; 0g trans
fat; 10mg cholesterol; 125mg sodium;
24g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 19g sugar; 1g
protein; 120% Daily Value of vitamin A; 20%
Daily Value of vitamin C; 2% Daily Value of
calcium; 2% Daily Value of iron.